Archive for bumrejects.myfreeforum.org Open discussion on just about any topic
 


       bumrejects.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> In the News Local (St Augustine)
puc reducks

Colonial Spanish Quarter

Closed effective Sept. 30th.

Dept. of Heritage Tourism & Historic Preservation same, same time line.



Fixed subject misspelling.
puc reducks

[bump]
jasmine

Re: Colonial Spanish Quater

puc reducks wrote:
Closed effective Sept. 30th.

Dept. of Heritage Tourism & Historic Preservation same, same time line.


Please say more -
bieramar

Recent article, plus 20 comments: http://staugustine.com/news/local...2011-08-24/spanish-quarter-retool
puc reducks

bieramar wrote:
Recent article, plus 20 comments: http://staugustine.com/news/local...2011-08-24/spanish-quarter-retool


Why did your link work when it was not flush to the left margin???
bieramar

Because I'm the "magic man!"
puc reducks

bieramar wrote:
Because I'm the "magic man!"


Around the ol' campfire again?  Chewing or puffing on "vegetation"???   Shocked  Very Happy

Whatcha got for evening temps up there?
bieramar

puc reducks wrote:
Whatcha got for evening temps up there?


27° to 30° - currently (8:20 a.m., bright sunshine) 31.7°.

Two snowfalls so far, but all melted at my place.  Was hiking yesterday at Cienega Falls (heading for Sandia Crest from San Antonito) and snow remains in shady areas.

Peak day temps (5-6 p.m.) have been high 50°s.

PS: In addition to my insistently begging Abert's squirrels and rock squirrels I've now got a raven tapping every afternoon – Poe thing, or poor me –– I'm not sure.
puc reducks

bieramar wrote:
puc reducks wrote:
Whatcha got for evening temps up there?


27° to 30° - currently (8:20 a.m., bright sunshine) 31.7°.

Two snowfalls so far, but all melted at my place.  Was hiking yesterday at Cienega Falls (heading for Sandia Crest from San Antonito) and snow remains in shady areas.

Peak day temps (5-6 p.m.) have been high 50°s.

PS: In addition to my insistently begging Abert's squirrels and rock squirrels I've now got a raven tapping every afternoon – Poe thing, or poor me –– I'm not sure.


I've just had a trip to cool New Mexico!   Very Happy  Perfect peak day temps!

Been to Cienega Falla, Sandia Crest, and San Antonito--hope to return.

The word is OUT, that the White Bearded Man feeds all animals.  Give that tap-tap-taping raven some raven chow!  It's a Poe thing, just in time for Halloween!  You could name him Edgar...
bieramar

puc reducks wrote:
The word is OUT, that the White Bearded Man feeds all animals.  Give that tap-tap-taping raven some raven chow!  It's a Poe thing, just in time for Halloween!  You could name him Edgar...


The drought and wildfires destroyed most of the peanut crop this year and retail price has increased 100% - feeding the critters has cut into my drinkin' dollars! I feed and water everyone except bears.

But the monsoons, and now the Pacific moisture, has freshened the mountains, and the bears finally have some natural food - they really suffered this year with lack of fruit, acorns and pinyons (late hard freezes and wildfires) - and unfortunately some kind intentioned but not-understanding folks began to feed them.  

"A Fed Bear is a Dead Bear" proved too true as after being fed and losing their aloofness to humans a lot of them had to be shot after rampaging through porches, pets and livestock - I found big boar napping on my back porch one dawn, and regularly have scat in my carport.

Even the cougars came down into residential areas of Santa Fe and Albuquerque, and the coyotes are always there - we don't have a feral cat problem.
puc reducks

bieramar wrote:
puc reducks wrote:
The word is OUT, that the White Bearded Man feeds all animals.  Give that tap-tap-taping raven some raven chow!  It's a Poe thing, just in time for Halloween!  You could name him Edgar...


The drought and wildfires destroyed most of the peanut crop this year and retail price has increased 100% - feeding the critters has cut into my drinkin' dollars! I feed and water everyone except bears.

But the monsoons, and now the Pacific moisture, has freshened the mountains, and the bears finally have some natural food - they really suffered this year with lack of fruit, acorns and pinyons (late hard freezes and wildfires) - and unfortunately some kind intentioned but not-understanding folks began to feed them.  

"A Fed Bear is a Dead Bear" proved too true as after being fed and losing their aloofness to humans a lot of them had to be shot after rampaging through porches, pets and livestock - I found big boar napping on my back porch one dawn, and regularly have scat in my carport.

Even the cougars came down into residential areas of Santa Fe and Albuquerque, and the coyotes are always there - we don't have a feral cat problem.


Valencia peanuts from NM are my faves right up there with those big ol' Virginia peanuts.

So many horrible stories of wildlife from the fires out West.  

People are stupid with wild animals everywhere.  As you know, folks here feed gators and then wonder why their dogs go missing.

It has been a tough year for everyone.  Happy to hear the mountains have recovered somewhat in time for some foraging.

Was that a boar or bear napping on your back porch?
bieramar

That would be a boar bear - a male black bear.

Mountain people in this neck of the woods use the old frontier 'boar' and 'sow' terms to describe papa bear and mama bear - I've never looked into the origins of that usage.
puc reducks

bieramar wrote:
That would be a boar bear - a male black bear.

Mountain people in this neck of the woods use the old frontier 'boar' and 'sow' terms to describe papa bear and mama bear - I've never looked into the origins of that usage.


Uh-huh.  And he was just curled up on the porch??!  THAT I could have done without.  "Sow" I knew, but not familiar with "boar."  Glad he stopped at the door.  Are they black bears?  Climbers?

       bumrejects.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> In the News Local (St Augustine)
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum