Archive for bumrejects.myfreeforum.org Open discussion on just about any topic
 

The free forums are now under new ownership, a full announcement will be made shortly

       bumrejects.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Don't touch my Junk Drawer
auntmartymoo

Happy Birthday Bieramar

Well...a least I think today is the day.

Have a good one you old fart!   Very Happy
puc reducks

I'll chime in, too!  Happy BD, Chuck!

Go out and have some green chili stew for me!

Many happy returns!

Clara
auntmartymoo

And blue corn tortillas!
bieramar

Thanks; I eat one or more of blue and yellow corn tortillas, and green and red chiles, at least six days a week.  

Today's lunch, however, is my homemade "chili with chiles" and pollo tamales leftover from Christmas dinner (from my freezer).

Leslie's taking me to dinner at Los Equipales restaurant in Duke City for my favorite Mexican seafood dish, shrimp in tequila sauce (I forget the Spanish term), and tres leches cake.  Then a local band will entertain at the after-dinner dance party at the Lazy Lizard Lounge in San Antonito, 3 miles up the mountain.

January 21, 1935 - I was born at home with my almost-five-year-old sister as midwife attendant.  Middle of a snowstorm of the coldest winter in decades; the town doctor arrived by sleigh 5 hours after my first squawk.  

My dad was 150 miles away confined for months in the Des Moines VA Hospital, and the bank had foreclosed on the family farm in September 1934.

Mom and sis came to town (Algona IA) with $50 and one draft horse.  Mom sold the horse and rented the 1? story wooden frame house with a cellar full of coal for the furnace, bordered by the Chicago & Northwestern (E/W) and the Rock Island Railroad (N/S) with the third border an 80-year-old cemetary.  

Mom supported the family by washing/stretching/drying lace curtains, and tatting, crocheting and selling lace doilies, antimacassars, etc.  

The plan was give birth to me, and when dad was released from the hospital in the spring, to join the migration of the Great Depression to join a WW-I buddy of my dad, who had work for him.

The plan didn't come to pass, and I stayed in/around Algona until I was 17 years old.
----------------
coebul

bieramar wrote:


January 21, 1935 - I was born at home with my almost-five-year-old sister as midwife attendant. Middle of a snowstorm of the coldest winter in decades; the town doctor arrived by sleigh 5 hours after my first squawk.
Is your sister normal today?  That would traumatize a teenager!  

bieramar wrote:
My dad was 150 miles away confined for months in the Des Moines VA Hospital, and the bank had foreclosed on the family farm in September 1934.
Prison hospital?  

bieramar wrote:
Mom and sis came to town (Algona IA) with $50 and one draft horse. Mom sold the horse and rented the 1? story wooden frame house with a cellar full of coal for the furnace, bordered by the Chicago & Northwestern (E/W) and the Rock Island Railroad (N/S) with the third border an 80-year-old cemetary.
Gawd bieramar this esplains so much.  

bieramar wrote:
Mom supported the family by washing/stretching/drying lace curtains, and tatting, crocheting and selling lace doilies, antimacassars, etc.
Beats the crap out of one alternative..

bieramar wrote:
The plan was give birth to me, and when dad was released from the hospital in the spring, to join the migration of the Great Depression to join a WW-I buddy of my dad, who had work for him.

The plan didn't come to pass, and I stayed in/around Algona until I was 17 years old.
----------------
Truly a Grapes of Wrath upbringing!  

Happy Birthday ya ole coot.
Phred

Dayumn ... I thought I had it tuff growing up ... HB Mr B!
auntmartymoo

bieramar wrote:
Thanks; I eat one or more of blue and yellow corn tortillas, and green and red chiles, at least six days a week.  

Today's lunch, however, is my homemade "chili with chiles" and pollo tamales leftover from Christmas dinner (from my freezer).

Leslie's taking me to dinner at Los Equipales restaurant in Duke City for my favorite Mexican seafood dish, shrimp in tequila sauce (I forget the Spanish term), and tres leches cake.  Then a local band will entertain at the after-dinner dance party at the Lazy Lizard Lounge in San Antonito, 3 miles up the mountain.


Yummmm.  That makes me miss the old "What are you eating?" thread.  Your descriptions always made my mouth water...and so many people liked to post in that thread.  I always enjoyed Enuff's foodie posts as well.
coebul

AM that can be remedied rather quickly.
bieramar

Birthday rant

Phred wrote:
Dayumn ... I thought I had it tuff growing up ... HB Mr B!


Sheeeeit - that was just being born - growing up was another tale or three.

Don't believe that crap about "We were poor, but didn't know it."  

Twelve rental houses/apartments after the house I was born in, until I left for Texas 6 months after my 17th birthday; the embarrassment of thanking the beaming donors for my overshoes and overcoats each winter at the public giveaway event at school; my first bed and private bedroom (an attic loft I couldn't stand fully erect in) when I was 12 years old; never ever receiving anything beyond room/board (the table cleaned of every scrap at every meal); any candy, pop, movie - and later car and gas - paid for by me from my own labor, beginning at age 5 when Phil K. and I would walk the railroad tracks picking up discarded pop bottles we could sell for 2? back to the Algona Pop Company; taking all my savings at age 12 to pay for mom, dad, sis and me to see Ringling Brothers Barnaum and Bailey Circus; and finally in 1952 shaking the hands of my mom and dad before getting in my '38 Chevy DeLuxe to head out of town, as I actualized their dreams of 1934/1935 which had never came to be.

BeeGee and I used to compare notes, and he and his three brothers had it worse than me, not picking up pop bottles to sell for luxuries, but picking up half burnt remnants of coal along the railroad tracks for their mom to cook fry bread, and keep warm.

To use an old Iowa term "I'm happy as a pig in shit" to be sitting on my mountain after 76 years of touring half the world, and seeing and experiencing in person what many only imagine from books, movies and videos -  if they dream at all.
puc reducks

Bier,
That would be "camarones" and something!

Do you get green corn tamales in NM?  Could be just a Tucson thing.

Is your tres leches cake a vanilla or chocolate?  Great choice for a BD cake!

Don't bother with candles...  they would melt the whipped cream!  Wink
puc reducks

auntmartymoo wrote:
And blue corn tortillas!


With REAL huevos rancheros from Santa Fe and/or Taos way! *sigh*
coebul

puc reducks wrote:
Bier,
That would be "camarones" and something!
Cajones?
puc reducks

coebul wrote:
puc reducks wrote:
Bier,
That would be "camarones" and something!
Cajones?


LOL!  Camarones y cajones?  Eeeewwww. what a nasty texture combo!

Let's ask Bier whether it was that or not.  I'm betting NOT!
bieramar

puc reducks wrote:
coebul wrote:
puc reducks wrote:
Bier, That would be "camarones" and something!
Cajones?
LOL! ?Camarones y cajones? ?Eeeewwww. what a nasty texture combo! Let's ask Bier whether it was that or not. ?I'm betting NOT!


Nope, no "camarones y cajones" - I've always preferred the original "lunch in a sack" as God intended - sliced, breaded, and fried up with eggs.

Nothing like a morning castrating pigs, sheep or cattle to build up a huge appetite (remembers the now old Iowa-raised boy).

The uppity Spanish menu word for animal testicles is "criadillas" with "cajones des torros" being more a novelty term (like "Gator Tail" in Florida).

"Camarones" ("shrimp" in English) is one of the Spanish words I have difficulty remembering - like "mantequilla" ("butter") - usually those not derived from Latin, but instead picked up from Arabic or American Indio langages.

Check out the dinner menu - unbelievable prices; my "Camarones al Tequila" was $8 at lunchtime!
http://www.999dine.com/nm/losequipales/menu.html
coebul

There you go again turning eggs into omelets.
tsiya

Bier doesn't see a doctor any more, he visits an archeologist! Very Happy
puc reducks

Bier,
Sign me up for Tostadas Los Equipales and flan!

Enjoyed reading the menu!
coebul

I will tell you I make a pretty fair Carnita with corn tortillas and pico degallo.  It is rapidly becoming a once a week standard around here.
puc reducks

coebul wrote:
I will tell you I make a pretty fair Carnita with corn tortillas and pico degallo. It is rapidly becoming a once a week standard around here.


Pico de gallo??!  You had me at "pico"!  Love the salsas frescas!  So, a little cilantro, 'eh?  Good on ya, Coe!  Love pico de gallo with grilled chicken and squeeze of fresh lime.  Same when we ate beef:  Squeeze lime on grilled steaks and serve with pico, warm corn tortillas, Dos Equis, and "drunken beans" (stewed with green chilies and Dos X)!
coebul

Pico de gallo is the only name I have known it by.  Basic ingredients and lots of cilantro.  But the Carnitas!!!!!  Having it Tues or Wed this week.
auntmartymoo

I made a monstrous pot of chili this morning.  Been slow-cooking it in my 7-quart crockpot all day.  Should be delicious by suppertime...any feed me and my husband for the rest of the week.  It will probably be chili mac tonight...nachos one night...chili dogs another night...chili cheese dip by the time we're down to the bottom of the pot.
puc reducks

That's a cauldron of chili! (*yum*)  It tastes better with every re-heat, IMO!

Chili CHEESE dogs?  With chopped onions, too???  Sign me up!!!
scrutney

auntmartymoo wrote:
I made a monstrous pot of chili this morning. Been slow-cooking it in my 7-quart crockpot all day. Should be delicious by suppertime...any feed me and my husband for the rest of the week. It will probably be chili mac tonight...nachos one night...chili dogs another night...chili cheese dip by the time we're down to the bottom of the pot.


oddly enough...i made a vat o' chili last night.
w/ minced red peppers, garlic and onions...and i mean minced(more like shaved)...if the family knew i added those i'd be sleeping outside for the rest of the year.

also bacon, hand cut sirloin, ground round and a little hot pork sausage....with a couple of ounces of cabernet.

sweet baby and the hellspawn loved it.
if only they knew.
puc reducks

coebul wrote:
Pico de gallo is the only name I have known it by. Basic ingredients and lots of cilantro. But the Carnitas!!!!! Having it Tues or Wed this week.


Want to share your recipe???  Very Happy
puc reducks

scrutney wrote:
auntmartymoo wrote:
I made a monstrous pot of chili this morning. Been slow-cooking it in my 7-quart crockpot all day. Should be delicious by suppertime...any feed me and my husband for the rest of the week. It will probably be chili mac tonight...nachos one night...chili dogs another night...chili cheese dip by the time we're down to the bottom of the pot.


oddly enough...i made a vat o' chili last night.
w/ minced red peppers, garlic and onions...and i mean minced(more like shaved)...if the family knew i added those i'd be sleeping outside for the rest of the year.

also bacon, hand cut sirloin, ground round and a little hot pork sausage....with a couple of ounces of cabernet.

sweet baby and the hellspawn loved it.
if only they knew.


Holy Chili Gods!  Sounds superb!!!
scrutney

puc reducks wrote:
Holy Chili Gods!  Sounds superb!!!


everybody loved it...i, on the other hand, only liked it a lot.
the brown sauce, the inch or so on top that has no meat in it...what i call the pot liquor, tasted kind of thin...not full bodied enough for my taste...i think it may have been the cabernet...

the cab is the only thing i'd never tried before in this recipe...i usually use a 1/2 can of coors.

puc reducks

scrutney wrote:
puc reducks wrote:
Holy Chili Gods! Sounds superb!!!


everybody loved it...i, on the other hand, only liked it a lot.
the brown sauce, the inch or so on top that has no meat in it...what i call the pot liquor, tasted kind of thin...not full bodied enough for my taste...i think it may have been the cabernet...

the cab is the only thing i'd never tried before in this recipe...i usually use a 1/2 can of coors.



Interesting about the "pot liquor" thing.  Did you simmer it long enough to reduce? Why was it brown and not "chili colorado" (chili red)?

Once I read "cabernet," all I could think of was that you must try ground bison instead of beef.  

I've used beer in chili, but wasn't wowed.  All what one's used to, I guess.  I do love the cabernet idea!
scrutney

Quote:
I've used beer in chili, but wasn't wowed.  All what one's used to, I guess.  I do love the cabernet idea!


it probably wasn't the cabernet...after thinking about it for a while (over a bowl) i realized that i used way less salt and what i did use was sea salt.

auntmartymoo

Wow, Scrut.  Your ingredients sound fabulous.

I've got 3 or 4 recipes I've developed over the years.  My "company" chili sounds similar to Scrutney's.  It takes a lot of prep time and involves diced steak and plenty of pork...fresh herbs & tomatoes...a splash of booze and lots of time slow-cooking in an iron pot on the stovetop.

But THAT is not what I made this morning.  I made my "shortcut" chili...for when I'm rushed or lazy or poor.  It was invented back in my batchelorette days...when I was snowed-in, without proper chili ingredients, many years ago.

It ain't gourmet, but it'll get you a chili fix in a hurry...and on the cheap!


Brown 2lbs of ground beef & 2 diced onions, drain.

Add 2 cans of Ro-tel tomatoes & green chilles.

Add 2 cans of light red kidney beans, rinsed & drained.

Add some diced (pickled) jalepenos, to taste.

Add 6 cans of Tomato Soup, yes soup...preferably Campbell's.  Trust me.

Add a little Tabasco, black pepper, red pepper & garlic powder.

Add some powdered Cumin.

Add a lot of Chili Powder.

Stir it all up and leave it in the crockpot on warm for 6-ish hours.
scrutney

yum!
sounds tasty...

i've been riffing on a recipe taught to me by my brother's best friend when he was a united states air force aerospace dining hall comestible preparation technician.

he'd slice up a tenderloin...(what the hell, the taxpayers were footing the bill)
5 different kinds of beans...i learned the hot sausage and bacon trick from him.

joe made a mean bowl of chili.


and just why the hell are we talking about chili in bieramar's birthday thread?

someone ought to start a food thread...i've got a cool name for it too.

"food, glo....oh never mind.

happy birthday bieramar...2 days late
puc reducks

Love recipes like your "Bachelorette Chili," AMM!

Tonight for dins we had "Cheaty Vegetarian Quiche."  No crust, but garlic croutons in the mix of steamed cauliflower (one entire head), can of cream of celery soup, coupla beaten eggs, shredded cheddar, some milk. Pour into 9 x 13 pan, sprinkle w/more shredded cheddar, and bake until top is crusty and cheese is golden.

Also not gourmet, but from my undergrad days.  So poor I had to make my own croutons!  Laughing

Rest of the shredded cheese went on top of flour tortillas next day and into the oven for cheese crisps. Salsa fresca and beer.  Lived on that for quite a few semesters. Best deals at the Mexican markets!
scrutney

it's that time of year again:

26 to the third power.*


happy birthday bieramar


*which doesn't quite work out (unless of course you're 17,576 years young....if so, i'd hate to see your birthday cake.)
bieramar

Touche' - I should have written 26, or 26 cubed!

But then, one error a year at my age isn't too bad.

I blame it on the schrooms in the frittata I made for breakfast.

       bumrejects.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Don't touch my Junk Drawer
Page 1 of 1
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum