Archive for bumrejects.myfreeforum.org Open discussion on just about any topic
 

The free forums are now under new ownership, a full announcement will be made shortly

       bumrejects.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Don't touch my Junk Drawer
puc reducks

LA MUSICA--Hear it Here!

I'll start off with three by Mose Allison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8NwNQ5Rjjo&feature=related

Saw/heard him many times in The Village (Greenwich).  He's still playing and singing, BTW.

A delightful old standard.  His voice... ahhhhhh!

Now this, an instrumental.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OihfIx-fkiM&feature=related

Lawd, help me up!

Adding one more b/c I just remembered the title!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5fHpC4Wux8
puc reducks

Question  Question  Question  Nary a person wishes to add a song(s) to this thread?  Question  Question  Question
bieramar

No app on my WebTv for YouTube.
scrutney

puc reducks wrote:
Question  Question  Question  Nary a person wishes to add a song(s) to this thread?  Question  Question  Question


but of course.
i was going to to give others a chance first.
i tend to hog any discussion about music in which i am involved.

by the way, i love mose allison.
puc reducks

bieramar wrote:
No app on my WebTv for YouTube.


I realize this might be close to heresy, but you could retire Ye Olde Webe TV!

Lots of garbahge on YouTube, BUT yesterday I found INTERVIEWS with Howlin' Wolf--on, e.g., what is the Blues and so forth.  All the Mose Allison, Betty Carter, Clara Smith ("Stinging Snake Blues"!!!), and on and on.  Fabulous arias from so many operas I cannot list.

Just sayin', you dear old coot on that mountaintop in NM, you could modernize!   Very Happy

There were no "apps" when your WebTV was born, BTW!  Just sayin'...

Come over to the Video Side... It is your destiny, Luke, errrr, Chuck!
puc reducks

scrutney wrote:
puc reducks wrote:
Question  Question  Question  Nary a person wishes to add a song(s) to this thread?  Question  Question  Question


but of course.
i was going to to give others a chance first.
i tend to hog any discussion about music in which i am involved.

by the way, i love mose allison.[/color]


Yes!  That's what I'm counting on, Scrutney!!!  Hog it!   Very Happy

Agreed on Mose!  He's timeless.  He's got something out entitled "Senior Years" or some such.  Has "Senior" in the title. Haven't yet explored, but will soon.  I'm, sure that cat endures.

Re Jefferson Airplane.  Deep recesses of my 'shroom-shrouded mind:  Did they do a really far out song with "White" in the title?
scrutney

mose allison / young man blues

a slightly different spin on the same tune

far out song with "White" in the title

the other hit

science fiction mini opera

bier needs a computer /won't you try?

white boys can't hammer the blues but this white girl nails it shut

john prine and steve goodman

andrew turned me on to this one*










*andrew said he was in the video...i think that's him in the burgundy shirt at 3min 22sec
puc reducks

Wonderful, Scrut!!!

Janis singing "Summertime" is sublime.

Love it, but that's not the "far out song with 'White' in it."  *sigh*

Maybe it was another group.  Not Procol Harum, either!   Wink

Who did "White Bird"?
scrutney

'it's a beautiful day' did the song white bird.

it's been tangled up in copyright issues for years so it's hard to find a studio version of the song...some slick producer from san francisco owns the master tape to the studio version and the album and thinks it's worth a lot more than it is, so the album (along with the early stuff from moby grape) is hard to find.

(warning...that may be an urban legend...as are most answers to "why can't i get 'thus and so' on cd...or..."who died and made elvis king?"...rock and roll and the anecdotal stories surrounding it are shrouded in mystery and rumor.)
scrutney

Quote:
Love it, but that's not the "far out song with 'White' in it."  *sigh*



knights in white satin? the moody blues
white christmas? bing crosby
white wedding? billy idol
white room? cream
white light white heat? lou reed/ velvet underground
white guilt-black heart? ed slavin/ cracked activists.
JodyB

Thank you, Mr. Scrutney

That music made me feel good all day. Love my Janis. Airplane is great. The WHO is, well, just wonderful.
 I really miss that music,today's stuff just ain't got it.Just who is Lady Ga - Ga anyway  ?
scrutney

Re: Thank you, Mr. Scrutney

JodyB wrote:

 I really miss that music,today's stuff just ain't got it.Just who is Lady Ga - Ga anyway  ?


today's stuff...yeeeesh.
and while i don't really like lady gaga, i appreciate what she's trying to do.
she takes music performance one step beyond...a total media experience.

sure, she's a charlatan.
and i don't like her music.
and she's not as attractive as she thinks she is.
she's kind of like david bowie in his ziggy stardust phase.
with boobs.
jasmine

[quote="scrutney:" 'it's a beautiful day' did the song white bird.

Jefferson Airplane also did "White Bird".  

"Knights in White Satin", by Moody Blues

"A Whiter Shade of Pale" by Procol Harum.  Still have no idea what that song was all about.
JodyB

A Whiter Shade of Pale" by Procol Harum.  Still have no idea what that song was all about.

Who knew what some of the songs back then were really about ?
Who cared ?   It was just great to listen to. Still is.
jasmine

JodyB wrote:
A Whiter Shade of Pale" by Procol Harum.  Still have no idea what that song was all about.

Who knew what some of the songs back then were really about ?
Who cared ?   It was just great to listen to. Still is.


So true
scrutney

puc reducks wrote:
Did they do a really far out song with "White" in the title?


white summer?

yeah...i know, it sounds like led zeppelin, but take my word for it, it's the yardbirds...that is jimmy page on the guitar.

he took over the band about a year after this was recorded, hired robert plant, john bonham and john paul jones...toured for a couple of months as the new yardbirds and relaunched as led zeppelin.

click on the link below and see the yardbirds doing an embryonic version of a led zep standard.

dazed and confused
puc reducks

Joe Cocker sings, wails, cries, and screams "Unchain My Heart."
puc reducks

scrutney wrote:
puc reducks wrote:
Did they do a really far out song with "White" in the title?


white summer?

yeah...i know, it sounds like led zeppelin, but take my word for it, it's the yardbirds...that is jimmy page on the guitar.

he took over the band about a year after this was recorded, hired robert plant, john bonham and john paul jones...toured for a couple of months as the new yardbirds and relaunched as led zeppelin.

click on the link below and see the yardbirds doing an embryonic version of a led zep standard.

dazed and confused


FIRST TIME I've heard this song ("White Summer"), Scrut!  I am overwhelmed--it's magnificent!  It's not the song with"White" in the title (that one was a vocal), but I'll be listening to this again--many, many times.  Thanks!   Very Happy
puc reducks

Meant to get back to this, but am in a music frenzy!!!

Regarding a psychedelic song with "White" in the title:

Scrutney wrote:
knights in white satin? the moody blues
white christmas? bing crosby
white wedding? billy idol
white room? cream
white light white heat? lou reed/ velvet underground
white guilt-black heart? ed slavin/ cracked activists.


Nix, not the Moodies.

Love "White Christmas"; hate Der Bingle.

Nope, never listened to Billy Idol.  

CREAM!!!  LOVE "WHITE ROOM"!!!  But it's not that song!  Ginger Baker still alive? Drumming?

Nay, not Lou Reed/Velvet Underground.  (Faint memory of that song.)

Hmmmm... have heard everything the Cracked Activists have written, but, no, it wasn't that lot, either!

Maybe it WAS "White Bird" after all.  It'll come to me....
puc reducks

jasmine wrote:
JodyB wrote:
A Whiter Shade of Pale" by Procol Harum.  Still have no idea what that song was all about.

Who knew what some of the songs back then were really about ?
Who cared ?   It was just great to listen to. Still is.


So true


On the other hand, everything you never wanted to know about "Whiter Shade of Pale"--and from the BBC, no less:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6146618.stm

(Title is said to refer to snorting coke:  one line down, getting ready for another rail, and the chick turned "a whiter shade of pale."
scrutney

who sez white folk can't sing the blues?
puc reducks

scrutney wrote:
who sez white folk can't sing the blues?


This group, apparently.   Cool

Is it "The Micturation Blues"???   Wink
scrutney

puc reducks wrote:
scrutney wrote:
who sez white folk can't sing the blues?


This group, apparently.   Cool

Is it "The Micturation Blues"???   Wink


so i was wondering who this group of apple cheeked creeps were.
do they go from town to town preaching against the evils of incontinence?


Quote:
The Kelly Family is an American-German music group consisting of a multi-generational family, who plays a repertoire of rock, pop and folk music. They have had chart and concert success in Europe and other parts of the world, especially in Germany, the Benelux countries, Scandinavia, Eastern Europe, Spain and Portugal. They have sold over 20 million albums since the early 1980s.

For many years, the group presented a gypsy image and a vagabonding lifestyle, travelling around Europe in a double-decker bus and houseboat. Their image was enhanced by their eclectic and often home-made clothing and the very long hair worn by both male and female members of the band. In recent years they have presented a more mainstream look.




that's entertainment.
coebul

One of them looks like Wendy!
scrutney

the guy with the mustache?
puc reducks

Holy cannoli on that pic and blurb.   Shocked

People, actualy, like, PAY THEM???   Rolling Eyes
scrutney

puc reducks wrote:
Holy cannoli on that pic and blurb.   Shocked

People, actualy, like, PAY THEM???   Rolling Eyes


i hear that the dutch think quite highly of them.
puc reducks

scrutney wrote:
puc reducks wrote:
Holy cannoli on that pic and blurb.   Shocked

People, actualy, like, PAY THEM???   Rolling Eyes


i hear that the dutch think quite highly of them.



Oh, those damn Dutch!!!

(Remind me again why we don't like them!)
puc reducks

coebul wrote:
One of them looks like Wendy!


LMAO!!!
scrutney

puc reducks wrote:

Oh, those damn Dutch!!!

(Remind me again why we don't like them!)


those greasy little cheese sniffing, cod nobbling, clog hopping, chocolate smeared, rope jumping heathens are sneaking in to this country and...and...and ummmmmm conspiring...and and and...lollygagging and loitering and stuff...

they're up to no good, you mark my words.
OhwhatthehellI'tryit

I Did read the rules keep changing at the whim of G.!   Well, that post above just proves they Really mean what they say!
jasmine

scrutney wrote:
puc reducks wrote:

Oh, those damn Dutch!!!

(Remind me again why we don't like them!)


those greasy little cheese sniffing, cod nobbling, clog hopping, chocolate smeared, rope jumping heathens are sneaking in to this country and...and...and ummmmmm conspiring...and and and...lollygagging and loitering and stuff...

they're up to no good, you mark my words.


Tell it like it is Scrut.  They look like my highschool class
puc reducks

Scrutney!  Put down that smoked Gouda...

This one's for YOU:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW5FWR15OxI
OhwhatthehellI'tryit

It's so nice to be accepted for membership and then have your husband's (OF 30 YRS.) nationality bashed.. (SIC)

I've obviously made a mistake.   Even if the Admin said I was welcome, it seems to be untrue.

This Is Obviously Not a Friendly forum...  

But I'll stay true to the topic;

HEAD GAMES..


And the Admin said this forum "is for fun".   I beg (Not Really) to differ in that opinion...  These are hateful soundbites that show the true colors of the members that post them.
puc reducks

OhwhatthehellI'tryit wrote:
It's so nice to be accepted for membership and then have your husband's (OF 30 YRS.) nationality bashed.. (SIC)

I've obviously made a mistake.   Even if the Admin said I was welcome, it seems to be untrue.

This Is Obviously Not a Friendly forum...  

But I'll stay true to the topic;

HEAD GAMES..




OMG!  NO, that's not what is happening at all!!!   Shocked

"The Dutch"--it's a LONG, LONNNNNNG TIME joke with Scrutney!  He has been sarcastically "complaining" of the Dutch for years, not since you joined.

I don't know who you are, much less who your husband is. It's just unfortunate that you joined during the height of an anti-Dutch segment (incidentally, the family pic is of GERMANS, not Dutch).  We were having FUN.  Everyone gets a fork stuck in them every now and then.  Please use your sense of humor.  Otherwise, I can't see that you will be very happy here.  We all think we are very, very amusing!  Laughing

Can't take anything seriously here (well, except for Bieramar's and Coebul's political fisticuffs). But even those, as difficult as they are to read at times (the invective), are informative.

HEAD GAMES???  No, not this bunch.  We'll say it to your face--and call you names.
OhwhatthehellI'tryit

puc, I like you, always have, but trust me, (I know infamous words) IF this is not what I perceive it would have Never been posted after my acceptance in this forum..

Much respect to you..
puc reducks

Lana Cantrell's sweet voice, "I Will Wait for You"... ahhhhh.

Some say she was Australia's best gift to the U.S.
Guido Sarducci

OhwhatthehellI'tryit wrote:
It's so nice to be accepted for membership and then have your husband's (OF 30 YRS.) nationality bashed.. (SIC)

I've obviously made a mistake.   Even if the Admin said I was welcome, it seems to be untrue.

This Is Obviously Not a Friendly forum...  

But I'll stay true to the topic;

HEAD GAMES..


And the Admin said this forum "is for fun".   I beg (Not Really) to differ in that opinion...  These are hateful soundbites that show the true colors of the members that post them.


I do not remember posting the rules change at whim.  I said there are very few rules.  Name calling being one.  (or something like that).  Name calling is "not" a little banter back and forth.  

In my book (the only one that count at the moment) name calling is itching for a fight and viscous ad hominem attacks.  I have been guilty of it and have had a belly full of it.  Our last board was, indirectly shut down over it and "IT WILL NOT BE ALLOWED HERE".

We discuss serious issues and at time it gets heated.  I don't have a problem with and am guilty of a little and some times not so little heat.  

But ultimately this board is for fun.  The min it leaves that realm I will shut it down or turn the reigns over to some one else.  

---------------

The Dutch comment.  

It has been a long standing joke around the last four or five boards.  Hell the name of this forum is a longstanding joke.  

Honestly I had no idea your husband of 30 years is Dutch.  

One small piece of advice................  

We have developed a rather thick skin around here.  But generally insult are a bit more obvious then a shot at a husbands heritage.  Considering we very probably don't know your husband.  

Look at it as akin to "Mother always liked you best".  

It was a harmless banter between a couple of people that have been internet friends for several boards and years.  

G
OhwhatthehellI'tryit

"Welcome to the forum.  We are a pretty laid back bunch.  Love politics and always have to have the last word.  Generally we pull no punches but seldom bare knuckles.  

The rules are few #1 being no name calling.  I am new at administration but I do know how to manage privileges.  

Some of us have been together through 5 or 6 boards this is for fun."


If you keep me a member long enough I'll find where you post you change the rules  "if and when you see fit".

See??   I'm quite the detail person..   And YES, the Dutch thing has been going on for years;  Ever since my last name has been known to pb'ers..

PLEASE..  

C'mon..  Don't you get it??   I absolutely do..   I'll be the best thing that happened to your forum so they (your members) can bash.

No conspiracy theory's here.   But hey just watch..  You're new??   It'll be an experience..   Truly head games.

As for me, I always appreciate different views, try to learn from them..   Several of your members and I have been in contact over the years but only THE GOOD ONES..
puc reducks

PLEASE MOVE IT TO ANOTHER THREAD.
OhwhatthehellI'tryit

I'm sorry puc redux, but I thought the "dutch" stuff should be answered by a married to a dutch person.   I'll agree to stop posting providing they'll be no derailments to the musica  thread in the future!
scrutney

okay.

if you'll look at the context of my comments you'll realize that the dutch remarks were made in jest.

period.

they have nothing to do with you or your wonderful husband.
i don't know him but i'm sure he's a swell guy.

and to my knowledge, i don't know you either.

use the search function and you'll see that this wasn't the first (and i promise it won't be the last) derogatory mention of the dutch.

the whole point of my mindless rants against the dutch is to show how absolutely stupid bigotry of any form is.

and if you think that i've been lying in wait to spring an anti dutch tirade on a new member on the off chance that their spouse might be of dutch heritage, you're living in a fool's paradise.

but if you're thinned skinned enough to take personnel offense at what has been a long standing joke around here, it's been a real pleasure pissing you off.

an apology will not be forthcoming.

i will not apologize for words that i wrote which mean quite the opposite of what you perceived.

have a wonderful day, and do try and lighten up a bit.

OhwhatthehellI'tryit

I Never thought you'd apologize.  

This is the first "Dutch" bash I've seen on any thread here on This site..  (And I checked over ALL the "visible" ones before I registered)

Care to show me previous one's??
OhwhatthehellI'tryit

Yea, I didn't think so..

I'm not a masochist, I just wanted to discuss different issues.


So Listen. Let's just get me off this forum; I tried to do it myself last night since your pm message says I can BUT the link doesn't exist.

I learn quicker Every time I deal with you guys.

3rd times a charm..

Oh and all that spinning you do on why I left will not matter..  Any one that Does matter knows me anyway..

Peace out..
coebul

Lots of wasted energy here let's move on.  

Jimmy Hendrix was a Putz.
OhwhatthehellI'tryit

Coebul says "Lots of wasted energy here let's move on."


NO KIDDING.
puc reducks

coebul wrote:
Jimmy Hendrix was a Putz.


Now you're just talkin' trash, Coebul!   Twisted Evil  Take it back!!!

A putz???  Puc sputters, "A putz, say you???"

OK.  Gonna have to track you down, tie you to a chair, earphones on and Jimi will play the national anthem for you!!!

Going to YouTube right now, in fact!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxJAHSX-PBM&feature=related

Live, from Woodstock.
coebul

Henrix wouldn't make a pimple on a guitarist's butt!  

He should have been arrested for that rendition of the National Anthem!

And this is being kind!
puc reducks

coebul wrote:
Henrix wouldn't make a pimple on a guitarist's butt!  

He should have been arrested for that rendition of the National Anthem!

And this is being kind!




Dude, whose ears you been listening with???
coebul

You listen to that ear piercing screaching (for lack of a better word) and dare ask me "whose ears you been listening with???"

I enjoy a good/great guitarist as much and the next.  Hendrix isn't even good.  

He "was" (operative word "was") a drugged out tripping legend in his own mind guitarist who died of an overdose.  Nothing more or less...

Wink
puc reducks

coebul wrote:
You listen to that ear piercing screaching (for lack of a better word) and dare ask me "whose ears you been listening with???"

I enjoy a good/great guitarist as much and the next.  Hendrix isn't even good.  

He "was" (operative word "was") a drugged out tripping legend in his own mind guitarist who died of an overdose.  Nothing more or less...

Wink


Hey, you know me:  I listen to Dylan!   Laughing

Les Paul?  

Who you like on the axe?

Jimi was superb--who knows where he could have gone had he lived long enough.
coebul

Puc this started just yanking your chain and changing the subject.  True Hendrix is not my cup of tea.  

Take no offense it was meant tongue in cheek.  Ask Scrutney when he returns after his 3 day self imposed suspension.  He doesn't think to highly of my taste in music.
puc reducks

coebul wrote:
Puc this started just yanking your chain and changing the subject.  True Hendrix is not my cup of tea.  

Take no offense it was meant tongue in cheek.  Ask Scrutney when he returns after his 3 day self imposed suspension.  He doesn't think to highly of my taste in music.


I know your wicked ways, Coebul!   Laughing

Was just dishing it back--no offense!  I am not that thin-skinned!  But, you knock my Bobby D. and there WILL be problems...

Scrut is serious about the 3 days?!  Well, ratz!  I'll miss him.  But I'll be surre to remind him what you said about ol' Jimi!   Wink
scrutney

puc reducks wrote:

Scrut is serious about the 3 days?!  Well, ratz!  I'll miss him.  But I'll be surre to remind him what you said about ol' Jimi!   Wink


yeah...i was lurking though.
and so...before we were so rudely interrupted....

jimi is cool...and literally the most influential musician of the 20th century.

there is however another wood chopper who is fit to butter jimi's bread...
hit the link to hear the greatest guitarist you've never heard of as he sleepwalks through:

sleepwalk
puc reducks

Never heard of Danny Gatton until today!

"Sleepwalk"--nothing like Santo and Johnny except for the very end!  That's a good thing, a great thing!

Wiki had an interesting overview. His banjo playing had a direct impact on his guitar picking.

Quite a discography, too.  Any idea where to begin, Scrut?


~~~~~
Am adding here, just for the sake of interesting stuff, Rolling Stone's Top 100 Guitarists:  

http://www.rollingstone.com/music...t-guitarists-of-all-time-19691231

No axes to grind.  I don't know how I'd ever select a favorite!
puc reducks

HAPPY 70th BIRTHDAY, BOBBY DYLAN!

(May 24)

Check it out:  http://www1.rollingstone.com/dylan/
OhwhatthehellI'tryit

Darn those terrible deviations in topics! Laughing  

Saw Hendricks really young.  There's NEVER been another like him; I'm sure the drugs (his) had much to do with his genius.   Still the best none the less.
scrutney

Quote:
Never heard of Danny Gatton until today!

"Sleepwalk"--nothing like Santo and Johnny except for the very end!  That's a good thing, a great thing!

Wiki had an interesting overview. His banjo playing had a direct impact on his guitar picking.

Quite a discography, too.  Any idea where to begin, Scrut?


there are a couple of great places to start...but i'd be surprised if you can still get them. i've a hunch that they're long out of print.

redneck jazz explosion...danny live at the legendary cellar door in washington d.c....with buddy emmons on pedal steel guitar...it's hot.

and the humbler....danny and robert gordon in a rockabilly boogie mode...a long bootlegged show that was released on cd about 15 years ago, that captures danny at his best.

but truth to tell, as far as i know, there's no bad danny gatton.
it's all a matter of taste.

and by the way, puc...on that sleepwalk video...there are no toys/phase shifters/wah-wah pedals between danny's telecaster and the amp...that's all danny...with no trickery...there are a couple of leslie speakers hooked up...(they're the organ speakers with the spinning cones, i'm sure you've seen them before.)...they're supplying the over the top tremolo.

don't sweat the fact that those cd's are unavailable...i'm sure that you know someone that would be happy to burn them for you.
Wink

edited to add:
Quote:
Am adding here, just for the sake of interesting stuff, Rolling Stone's Top 100 Guitarists:  


any top 100 guitarist list that buries pete townshend at #50 should be torn up and reconfigured.

scrut's top ten list of great guitarists (not in any order):
george harrison
pete townshend
danny gatton
johnny winter
duane allman
dicky betts
robert johnson
jimmy page
jeff beck
eric clapton
leo kottke
jorma kaukonan
alvin lee
scotty moore
chuck berry
neil young
and at the top of the list:

jimi hendrix.
puc reducks

Just back from amazon.com/music, checking out Danny Gatton. TONS of CDs and DVDs.  Some priced beyond the stratosphere; most reasonable.

What exactly is rockabilly?  Are any of Gatton's albums more jazzy than rockabilly?

"The Humbler" is available.  I'm thinking of starting there!

Thanks, Scrutney!  Cool
puc reducks

Howzabout Steve Vai on that list?
puc reducks

Decided on Gatton's "Unfinished Business," ca. 2004. Has "Sleepwalk" and "Georgia on my Mind," plus one or two blues-y cuts.

"88 Elmira Street" is next!

(It's gonna be difficult taking Howlin' Wolf and Leadbelly off the CD player.)
puc reducks

"Funky Mama" by Danny Gatton, LIVE, Austin City Limits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUpP7CnW4yA&NR=1


Watch for Ed Slavin on the sax!
jasmine

Anything by Gershwin "Rhaposody in Blue" is a favorite.  Saw "An American in Paris" on the tv about 2 weeks ago with Gene Kelly and Leslie Caron.
scrutney

jasmine wrote:
Anything by Gershwin "Rhaposody in Blue" is a favorite.  Saw "An American in Paris" on the tv about 2 weeks ago with Gene Kelly and Leslie Caron.


possibly the most beautiful movie ever filmed.
and, miss caron has the best set of legs that ever graced the screen...except for elanor powell...

here she is battling fred astaire to a standstill

and here she is beating fred at his own game.
puc reducks

scrutney wrote:
possibly the most beautiful movie ever filmed.
and, miss caron has the best set of legs that ever graced the screen...except for elanor powell...

here she is battling fred astaire to a standstill

and here she is beating fred at his own game.


Legs?  It was Cyd Charisse hands down, or foot down!  She and Gene Kelly--exquisite!
jasmine

puc reducks wrote:
scrutney wrote:
possibly the most beautiful movie ever filmed.
and, miss caron has the best set of legs that ever graced the screen...except for elanor powell...

here she is battling fred astaire to a standstill

and here she is beating fred at his own game.


Legs?  It was Cyd Charisse hands down, or foot down!  She and Gene Kelly--exquisite!


Yes, Cyd Charisse legs up was about the best.  Fred Astaire was a dancer and Gene Kelly was more of an acrobat, but both styles of dancing were/are meserizing.
scrutney

puc reducks wrote:
scrutney wrote:
possibly the most beautiful movie ever filmed.
and, miss caron has the best set of legs that ever graced the screen...except for elanor powell...

here she is battling fred astaire to a standstill

and here she is beating fred at his own game.


Legs?  It was Cyd Charisse hands down, or foot down!  She and Gene Kelly--exquisite!


i love cyd...she has the balletic style that elanor can't touch...(and by the way so does leslie caron)
but i'm a sucker for a tapdance.

and legs?
cyd's the bomb.
jasmine

Eleanor Powell and Fred Astaire - now this is tap dancing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toDl2hXt8BM&feature=related
puc reducks

jasmine wrote:
Eleanor Powell and Fred Astaire - now this is tap dancing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toDl2hXt8BM&feature=related


Happy and elegant! Thanks for posting!

~~~~~

Here are Bill "Bojangles" Robinson and Shirley Temple in the 3-minute stair scene from "The Little Colonel."  Robinson has the first 2 minutes, and he is pure Heaven! Consider the very narrow stair step that is his platform!  Awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjCFYpWDmfM
jasmine

puc reducks wrote:
jasmine wrote:
Eleanor Powell and Fred Astaire - now this is tap dancing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toDl2hXt8BM&feature=related


Happy and elegant! Thanks for posting!

~~~~~

Here are Bill "Bojangles" Robinson and Shirley Temple in the 3-minute stair scene from "The Little Colonel."  Robinson has the first 2 minutes, and he is pure Heaven! Consider the very narrow stair step that is his platform!  Awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjCFYpWDmfM


This is a classic, he doesn't miss a beat.
puc reducks

Challenge for Scrutney!

Scrut,
Last night, on 88.5 FM (5-7 p.m., Saturday Night Juke Box with Cornbread), I heard The Absolute Best version of "Goin' Down Slow."  It was NOT Howlin' Wolf.

It was... are you ready???  Tom Jones (yes, THAT Tom Jones) with Jeff Beck.  Scorsese used about 1 minute's worth in his film on The Blues.

Jones was surreal.  He sounded like an old Black guy, but with the most powerful pair of lungs ever!  You ain't heard "Goin' Down Slow" until you've heard him!

I didn't know it was Tom Jones until Cornbread read the roster of songs & singers.

Of course, I hied it to YouTube to try to find it.  The company pulled the video!  Now I'm off to amazon.com to find Tom and Jeff Beck and that one cut on some album.

In the meanst, do you think YOU can find the complete video?  I am issuing a challenge, dear sir, thinking with your background you must know of some place to get this video!!!

~~~
p.s.
Nothing against Tom's early work, BUT I now know WHY he has that powerful voice:  to sing the Blues!
puc reducks

Meanwhile, here's my beloved Howlin' Wolf, 1966, singing "How Many More Years?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ou-6A3MKow&feature=related

Dig the guy on the right, pork pie hat, keeping time.  Coolest dude ever!

Wolf is chair dancing, too!

Don't it all just wanna make you get up and boogey?
scrutney

i'll see what i can do.

the best version of "goin down slow" that i ever heard was done by the dave mason band on their 77 tour...small venues and with pretty much the same band that he tours with now...mike finnigan (no longer with the band) did the vocals and it was amazing...dave played his guitar through a "squak box"...(that peter frampton thing that cons everyone into believing that the user can make a guitar speak.)

the next best version that i recently heard was by procol harum (the whiter shade of pale guys) with robin trower on guitar...it was a bonus track on the english cd of "shine on brightly."

tom jones...a great blues shouter when he wants to be...he used to have a syndicated tv show back in the early 70's and used to close the show with about 20 minutes of music...if he was inspired, the music was incendiary and panties and hotel keys used to hit the stage with a vengence...

i'll look for the clip.

edited to add...i found a snippet but that's about it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj-daBkCZYs
puc reducks

Thanks, Scrut!  Smile

Can't imagine Procol Harum singing "Goin' Down Slow," but think it would be a gas to hear it!
puc reducks

From "The Concert for Bangladesh."

Leon Russell's "Jumpin' Jack Flash/Young Blood."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0grEMQEXiw&feature=related

George Harrison, Leon's guitarist, Leon's back-up singers, but most of all:

LEON!

He's still rockin'!
scrutney

puc reducks wrote:
From "The Concert for Bangladesh."

Leon Russell's "Jumpin' Jack Flash/Young Blood."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0grEMQEXiw&feature=related

George Harrison, Leon's guitarist, Leon's back-up singers, but most of all:

LEON!

He's still rockin'!


you might want to check george and leon backing up bobby on just like a woman
jasmine

OK, Scrut and Puc, here is a favorite of mine from the 70's.  Steve Winwood and Traffic

This is from the album "Welcome to the Canteen".  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nska0v86o54
jasmine

puc reducks wrote:
From "The Concert for Bangladesh."

Leon Russell's "Jumpin' Jack Flash/Young Blood."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0grEMQEXiw&feature=related

George Harrison, Leon's guitarist, Leon's back-up singers, but most of all:

LEON!

He's still rockin'!


Thanks for all the music Scrut - this is good.
puc reducks

Glad you liked that excerpt from the concert for Bangladesh, Jasmine!

IIRC, that concernt was The First in which rockers raised funds for a cause.  George Harrison initiated it.  (He has always been my favorite Beatle!)

I have the DVD of this concert--it's a knock-out!!!
puc reducks

jasmine wrote:
OK, Scrut and Puc, here is a favorite of mine from the 70's.  Steve Winwood and Traffic

This is from the album "Welcome to the Canteen".  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nska0v86o54


Great song!  I love Traffic!
puc reducks

scrutney wrote:
puc reducks wrote:
From "The Concert for Bangladesh."

Leon Russell's "Jumpin' Jack Flash/Young Blood."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0grEMQEXiw&feature=related

George Harrison, Leon's guitarist, Leon's back-up singers, but most of all:

LEON!

He's still rockin'!


you might want to check george and leon backing up bobby on just like a woman


Link won't load.  BUT I do know this one!  On to YouTube to rock out!  Thanks, Scrut!
puc reducks

scrutney wrote:
i'll see what i can do.

the best version of "goin down slow" that i ever heard was done by the dave mason band on their 77 tour...small venues and with pretty much the same band that he tours with now...mike finnigan (no longer with the band) did the vocals and it was amazing...dave played his guitar through a "squak box"...(that peter frampton thing that cons everyone into believing that the user can make a guitar speak.)

the next best version that i recently heard was by procol harum (the whiter shade of pale guys) with robin trower on guitar...it was a bonus track on the english cd of "shine on brightly."

tom jones...a great blues shouter when he wants to be...he used to have a syndicated tv show back in the early 70's and used to close the show with about 20 minutes of music...if he was inspired, the music was incendiary and panties and hotel keys used to hit the stage with a vengence...

i'll look for the clip.

edited to add...i found a snippet but that's about it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj-daBkCZYs


That's all I could find, too.  From the movie.  Thanks though!  Smile
puc reducks

Scrutney,
Danny Gatton arrived yesterday afternoon. Been listening to "Unfinished Business" this afternoon.

Yowzer.  Did Lloyd's of London insure his hands?  It's almost incomprehensible that Gatton could play so rapidly--and elicit such feeling from the music.

Not too fond of the rockabilly stuff, but the cuts "Sky King" and "Georgia on My Mind" (top two, thus far) really knocked me out!

I could listen to "Sky King" over and over. It is mesmerizing.

"Georgia" starts and continues with the saxophone, then Gatton comes in from behind and nails it.

Had never heard of Gatton before you recommended him, so am very happy to make this "discovery"!  Thanks!!!  Very Happy
scrutney

puc reducks wrote:
Scrutney,
Danny Gatton arrived yesterday afternoon. Been listening to "Unfinished Business" this afternoon.

Yowzer.  Did Lloyd's of London insure his hands?  It's almost incomprehensible that Gatton could play so rapidly--and elicit such feeling from the music.

Not too fond of the rockabilly stuff, but the cuts "Sky King" and "Georgia on My Mind" (top two, thus far) really knocked me out!

I could listen to "Sky King" over and over. It is mesmerizing.

"Georgia" starts and continues with the saxophone, then Gatton comes in from behind and nails it.

Had never heard of Gatton before you recommended him, so am very happy to make this "discovery"!  Thanks!!!  Very Happy


washington dc is a hot bed of unknown (and mostly dead) talent:

eva cassidy fields of gold live at blues alley.

stormy monday



puc reducks

Before I go click and listen to it....

I LOVE "STORMY MONDAY"!!!

Edited to add:

That was fabulous!  Eva Cassidy is spectacular--what a great do of "Stormy Monday"--really made it her own!  Awesome.
scrutney

puc reducks wrote:
Before I go click and listen to it....

I LOVE "STORMY MONDAY"!!!

Edited to add:

That was fabulous!  Eva Cassidy is spectacular--what a great do of "Stormy Monday"--really made it her own!  Awesome.


the essential eva cassidy album is live at blues alley.
and it's available at music matters (shameless pug)
where else can you hear 'cheek to cheek' and 'take me to the river'?
(and stormy monday)
puc reducks

Thanks for the info re Music Matters.  Sometimes ya just don't want to wait for amazon.com!

Am retiring to YouTube for rest of evening to find and listen to Eva Cassidy!  Ahhhh... Cool
jasmine

[quote="scrutney:4294Had never heard of Gatton before you recommended him, so am very happy to make this "discovery"!  Thanks!!!  Very Happy[/quote]

washington dc is a hot bed of unknown (and mostly dead) talent:

eva cassidy fields of gold live at blues alley.

stormy monday

[/quote]

OK that was good - what a voice - thanks Scrut
puc reducks

Had a lovely time listening to Eva Cassidy last evening.

Just read some biographies.  She's DEAD.  I'm sad.  Melancholy.    Crying or Very sad

Advanced melanoma. 33 years old.
scrutney

one of the most under rated rock bands from back in the day, the faces. hell, even the drum solo is interesting (and as a drummer, i usually find them as boring as beans.) that's kenny jones behind the kit...the drummer that pete townshend referred to as nothing more than a "timekeeper" during his (jones) stint with the who in the eighties.

the faces had a boozy, stones-esque sensibility and that's not surprising considering that current stones guitarist ronnie wood was wielding the wood chopper. check out 3 button hand me down from british television.

they only had one ameican chart single, stay with me, henceforth, the bane of women named rita, the world over.

their exceptional ensemble playing put the lie to the perception of the faces being rod stewart's back up band. bad n' ruin amply illustrates that white boys can sing and play the blues and ooh la la shows that the band had folk chops as well.

(ya know...writing this crap and integrating it with all these freaking hyperlinks, with their merry little colours and all the attendant happy horse manure, is harder than it sounds...look for a class in "high tech, coherent, hyperlinked rock and roll criticism," coming soon to a community college near you.)
scrutney

this one's for jasmine.

there's no music on this clip but the charm and wit of
 janis joplin shine through as she's interviewed by dick cavett.

janis has a bash at the old chantels number maybe, with the kozmic blues band.

and although i couldn't find the tom jones and jeff beck clip that puc was looking for, i did find this one of tom and janis giving raise your hand a workout.

i'm not sure (hey, i'm good but i'm not that good) what band is backing her up on the tom jones show...far too polished to be big brother and the holding company or the kozmic blues band, which by default leaves the full tilt boogie band or tom jones' in house ensemble but regardless, here's little girl blue.
puc reducks

Eva Cassidy, "Live at Blues Alley," arrived yesterday afternoon.

It is stellar.  Something for everyone.

This is one album/CD that I would not hesitate to give as a gift, even without knowing the recipients' taste in music.  It is that incredible.
jasmine

scrutney wrote:
this one's for jasmine.

there's no music on this clip but the charm and wit of
 janis joplin shine through as she's interviewed by dick cavett.

janis has a bash at the old chantels number maybe, with the kozmic blues band.

and although i couldn't find the tom jones and jeff beck clip that puc was looking for, i did find this one of tom and janis giving raise your hand a workout.

i'm not sure (hey, i'm good but i'm not that good) what band is backing her up on the tom jones show...far too polished to be big brother and the holding company or the kozmic blues band, which by default leaves the full tilt boogie band or tom jones' in house ensemble but regardless, here's little girl blue.


Thank you Scrut, that is great stuff she was the best.  Joplin and Jones perform well together.  The reunion she went to in Port Arthur was documented and I think going there was really hard since she was ostracized in highschool by her peers.
jasmine

puc reducks wrote:
Eva Cassidy, "Live at Blues Alley," arrived yesterday afternoon.

It is stellar.  Something for everyone.

This is one album/CD that I would not hesitate to give as a gift, even without knowing the recipients' taste in music.  It is that incredible.


Where did it arrive
puc reducks

jasmine wrote:
puc reducks wrote:
Eva Cassidy, "Live at Blues Alley," arrived yesterday afternoon.

It is stellar.  Something for everyone.

This is one album/CD that I would not hesitate to give as a gift, even without knowing the recipients' taste in music.  It is that incredible.


Where did it arrive


To my home!  CD ordered from amazon.com, on Scrut's recommendation. That boy hasn't barked up the wrong tree yet!  Eva Cassiday is a phenomenon.  Mix Lana Cantrell, Bonnie Raitt, Judy Collins, and a little Joanie Mitchell--and that's just the beginning of how great Eva is.  Such a pure voice.
scrutney

i just picked up the remaster of derek and the dominos "layla and other assorted love songs"...the original cd version was not well served by it's digital conversion back in 1990.
quite frankly it was a muddled mess...but so was the original released back in 1970.
anyway, the new one is better but you still can't hear the cymbals (two of the greatest guitarists -duane allman and eric clapton- come together on what is arguably one of the best examples of white boy blues playing and scrut's critiquing the cymbals...bloody typical)...

anyway, in the wake of the release of layla...clapton and the boys (minus allman) played on the johnny cash show...jesus, eric looks so young...here are two great performances:

it's too late and matchbox featuring carl perkins and his famous toupee.
jasmine

scrutney wrote:
i just picked up the remaster of derek and the dominos "layla and other assorted love songs"...the original cd version was not well served by it's digital conversion back in 1990.
quite frankly it was a muddled mess...but so was the original released back in 1970.
anyway, the new one is better but you still can't hear the cymbals (two of the greatest guitarists -duane allman and eric clapton- come together on what is arguably one of the best examples of white boy blues playing and scrut's critiquing the cymbals...bloody typical)...

anyway, in the wake of the release of layla...clapton and the boys (minus allman) played on the johnny cash show...jesus, eric looks so young...here are two great performances:

it's too late and matchbox featuring carl perkins and his famous toupee.


Loved Matchbox - Clapton looks like a little kid.
scrutney

the botox tango
puc reducks

The Botox Tango... not to be missed!

~~~~~
Love Tom Lehrer doing anything, but esp. "Vatican Rag."  

"AveMaria! Hey, it's good to see ya!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3f72CTDe4-0
scrutney

clarence "the big man" clemons, dead at 69.

obit

this is a bummer.
yeah...i know, bruce and the e street band haven't put out anything worth listening to since 1984's born in the usa...but i had hopes.

but when danny federici died several years ago, part of the famous springsteen "sound" died with him...federici was the organist/accordion player...now that clemons is gone...the rest of the big, booming, bombastic boss-sound is history


Quote:
they scream your name at night in the street,
your graduation gown lies in rags at their feet.
and in the lonely cool before dawn,
you hear their engines roaring on
and when you get to the porch, they're gone on the wind.
so mary climb in.
this is a town full of losers and i'm pulling out of here to win.


thunder road

       bumrejects.myfreeforum.org Forum Index -> Don't touch my Junk Drawer Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Create your own free forum | Buy a domain to use with your forum